Beginning Tid-Bits

My photo
I am a very normal 30-ish year old who loves DIY projects and peanut butter. Have a suggestion for a post? Please let me know! You can find items to purchase on Etsy at www.etsy.com/shop/AnnetteLang

Monday, September 12

How I roll

I thought I would write a little bit about how I make my cards, I think anything handmade can be appreciated more when you see the process behind it (and the love).

I only use black fine tip Sharpies, and they don't last too long cause I like that new pointy tip. When I become filthy rich and famous, I will mention this in an interview with Anderson Cooper, and Sharpie will probably call me to do a commercial. I'll squeeze that in sometime between tea with the queen and my tour around the moon.




In an effort to be green, I do all my sketches on the back of my fiance's studying materials. He is an Actuary. This stuff seemss like the formula to time travel to me, and I need a nap just looking at it. But he is super smart and somehow understands this stuff. Don't know what an actuary is, don't worry I didn't either at first. They are an elite bunch and you don't hear too much about them. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Actuary




I come up with ideas from just about anywhere. Mostly, things that happen to/around me. Which reminds me, make a note, card about inking and smores. I get out my little sharpie and play around with ideas and try to come up with something cute. This particular idea came from an insurance commercial I saw. You can see the finished card here: http://www.etsy.com/listing/81453396/hand-drawn-card-just-married-on-recycled





I mess up a lot, that is it takes quite a few sketches for me to get it right. Lots of paper in the recycling bin. Somtimes I just never get it right, and I come to terms with the fact that not everything looks good in stick person form.
Some mess ups from the previous blog about being laid off.

Working on a "will you be my bridesmaid" card where I just couldn't get the hair right.

You can see the finished bridesmaid card here: http://www.etsy.com/listing/81446673/hand-drawn-card-will-you-be-my

This is where I do all my work, down in the basement!! Don't worry, it's not creepy. There is a full kitchen down there (weird choice by previous home owner) and I use it as a craft corner. It's not as cute as some of these craft-making spaced you see, but it works great and it allows me to not have to clean up if I don't feel like it.


this empty space used to have a stove, but my grandparents desperatley needed a new one, and refused to by one (children of the depression)...so we gave them this one. It was Tom's idea, cause he is so generous.

As you can see it gives me lots of storage space, and lots of room to work. (I don't use the dishwasher for any part of the card making process). So, after I get a sketch I like, I scan it and color it in photoshop. I tried coloring by hand with Prisma markers, but with orders of 50+ cards....that is unbelievably time consuming. So this works out great for Etsy. Once it is printed I take it down stairs and cut it to size. I HAVE to use a cutting tool....I cannot cut a straight line to save my life.



 Then they all get mounted on a heavy black card stock...




 Then trimmed again, so there is a nice clean black border. I am not a perfectionist by any means, but it works out good cause I can eye-ball things pretty well. Plus, perfect cards are for machines and I am not a machine. These are hand made and I think slight imperfections add to the charm. I mount the drawing on to a card that I get from Green Earth Supplies on Etsy. She is out of Colorado and does fabulous work and saves me an enormous amount of time.
http://www.etsy.com/shop/GreenEarthSupplies?ref=ss_profile


All scraps get tossed into this bag to be recycled....or until I can think of something productive to do with them.



And ta-da! The card is finished and ready to be photographed (if this is a first run) or sent out to a customer.




This is the packaging station, full of kraft wrapping paper, vintage fabric strips, twine, tape, thank you cards and envelopes. This is my favorite spot in the craft corner, because it means I am sharing my cards with someone!




 So, there you have it, a glimpse into the world of Briggle Sticks! It's not magical or fancy but I enjoy it and I get exctied about each and every sale. Thank you again for reading and check back soon for another cartoon....possible about hoarding. xo







No comments:

Post a Comment